TriDef vs NVIDIA Vision. How is Dragon Age & Mass Effect 2?

Forum for requesting, uploading and downloading new game profiles
Jenson
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:03 pm

TriDef vs NVIDIA Vision. How is Dragon Age & Mass Effect 2?

Postby Jenson » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:11 pm

TriDef vs NVIDIA Vision.

How is Dragon Age & Mass Effect 2 in TriDef stereo 3d vs NVIDIA 3D Vision stereo 3d?

For example in Mass Effect 2 there is a nasty halo effect. How is mass effect 2 in tridef? Any artifacts or is it perfect?

whyme466
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:41 am
Location: CA

Re: TriDef vs NVIDIA Vision. How is Dragon Age & Mass Effect

Postby whyme466 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:10 am

Perhaps someone could try this comparison and report results - I have compared Ignition and iZ3D for several different versions, and reported my experience via various game profile discussions (like DAO) in this forum. Unfortunately, with my new AMD graphics card, I cannot run NVIDIA Vision. I would be curious if NVIDIA's 3DTV Play software supports full 1080P 3D playback, as well - it supports HDMI 1.4 3D HDTVs.

I found Mass Effect 2's halo/ghost artifacting considerably reduced by following the author's advice for PC game players, in his "Important Note" discussion - see
http://oxcgn.com/2010/02/08/mass-effect ... omparison/.

NoBodysGamer
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:42 am

Re: TriDef vs NVIDIA Vision. How is Dragon Age & Mass Effect

Postby NoBodysGamer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:13 am

whyme466 wrote:Perhaps someone could try this comparison and report results - I have compared Ignition and iZ3D for several different versions, and reported my experience via various game profile discussions (like DAO) in this forum. Unfortunately, with my new AMD graphics card, I cannot run NVIDIA Vision. I would be curious if NVIDIA's 3DTV Play software supports full 1080P 3D playback, as well - it supports HDMI 1.4 3D HDTVs.

I found Mass Effect 2's halo/ghost artifacting considerably reduced by following the author's advice for PC game players, in his "Important Note" discussion - see
http://oxcgn.com/2010/02/08/mass-effect ... omparison/.


No 1080P HDMI 1.4 is 24Hz only for both AMD and Nvidia (fine for 3D BluRay, but not for games)

But if you have Tridef you can use side by side or checkerboard 1080P/60Hz
Its lower res but there is no actual difference when you play, and if you can enable AA then you wont notice any even if you look with magnifying glass.

whyme466
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:41 am
Location: CA

Re: TriDef vs NVIDIA Vision. How is Dragon Age & Mass Effect

Postby whyme466 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 pm

Sorry, but I think AMD does actually support 1080P 60 Hz 3D, based upon my hands-on experience and a very discerning tech/engineering eye. Please refer to my posts in the Other Displays forum. The referenced MTBS link includes a description on my system configuration and several validating pictures. I am using TriDef's AMD HDMI mode, a distinct mode from SBS or checkerboard.

NoBodysGamer
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:42 am

Re: TriDef vs NVIDIA Vision. How is Dragon Age & Mass Effect

Postby NoBodysGamer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:28 am

whyme466 wrote:Sorry, but I think AMD does actually support 1080P 60 Hz 3D, based upon my hands-on experience and a very discerning tech/engineering eye. Please refer to my posts in the Other Displays forum. The referenced MTBS link includes a description on my system configuration and several validating pictures. I am using TriDef's AMD HDMI mode, a distinct mode from SBS or checkerboard.



No it does not its a scientific fact!
HDMI 1.4 does not have enough bandwidth for 1080P/60Hz.

whyme466
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:41 am
Location: CA

Re: TriDef vs NVIDIA Vision. How is Dragon Age & Mass Effect

Postby whyme466 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 pm

I understand the concept of bandwidth constraints (see http://www.tomshardware.com/news/radeon ... 12403.html), but I remain confused by the performance that I continue to experience, versus the reported limitations of TMDS. If I am somehow operating at 24 Hz, then I suspect most people would not be able to distinguish the performance I am experiencing from a system truly operating at 60 Hz.

For example, Ignition routinely reports over 40 FPS during active gaming with Dead Space 2. When I turn 3D off in Dead Space 2, I see NO change in visual quality (1920 x 1080P 60 Hz visual setting), and virtually no change in game performance/responsiveness. Crysis game performance improves slightly, since incremental change in FPS is more discernable around 20 FPS. Crysis visual quality is unchanged between 3D/no 3D, though. See pictures at http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 197#p58197 topic (I am having difficulty posting pictures to DDD forums; no problem with profiles, though).

NoBodysGamer
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:42 am

Re: TriDef vs NVIDIA Vision. How is Dragon Age & Mass Effect

Postby NoBodysGamer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:32 am

whyme466 wrote:I understand the concept of bandwidth constraints (see http://www.tomshardware.com/news/radeon ... 12403.html), but I remain confused by the performance that I continue to experience, versus the reported limitations of TMDS. If I am somehow operating at 24 Hz, then I suspect most people would not be able to distinguish the performance I am experiencing from a system truly operating at 60 Hz.

For example, Ignition routinely reports over 40 FPS during active gaming with Dead Space 2. When I turn 3D off in Dead Space 2, I see NO change in visual quality (1920 x 1080P 60 Hz visual setting), and virtually no change in game performance/responsiveness. Crysis game performance improves slightly, since incremental change in FPS is more discernable around 20 FPS. Crysis visual quality is unchanged between 3D/no 3D, though. See pictures at http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 197#p58197 topic (I am having difficulty posting pictures to DDD forums; no problem with profiles, though).


Thats becuase your games run in 720P in 3D, or you one of the blinder people that see no difference between 1080P and 720P.

Also I can see no difference between 1080P 2D/60Hz and 1080P Checkerboard /60Hz.

whyme466
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:41 am
Location: CA

Re: TriDef vs NVIDIA Vision. How is Dragon Age & Mass Effect

Postby whyme466 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:08 am

NoBodysGamer - I am not running 720P, and I can tell the difference (Killzone 3 is 720P, with its text artifacting and reduced resolution from its 2D mode). Please look at the pictures and complete discussion. Look at the smoothness of the text in the Dead Space 3D menus.

I am surprised that can see no difference between 1080P 2D/60 Hz and 1080P Checkerboard (I assume 3D)/60 Hz. For example, do any text artifacts appear at any point during your gaming?

I hope someone else actually TESTS this configuration, ideally with some type of instrumentation. Note that this test configuation will need to be a high performance configuration, with a 6950, 6970, or 6990 AMD card. I left a comment on the Tomshardware site - perhaps someone at this site will provide more insight.

NoBodysGamer
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:42 am

Re: TriDef vs NVIDIA Vision. How is Dragon Age & Mass Effect

Postby NoBodysGamer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:26 am

whyme466 wrote:NoBodysGamer - I am not running 720P, and I can tell the difference (Killzone 3 is 720P, with its text artifacting and reduced resolution from its 2D mode). Please look at the pictures and complete discussion. Look at the smoothness of the text in the Dead Space 3D menus.

I am surprised that can see no difference between 1080P 2D/60 Hz and 1080P Checkerboard (I assume 3D)/60 Hz. For example, do any text artifacts appear at any point during your gaming?

I hope someone else actually TESTS this configuration, ideally with some type of instrumentation. Note that this test configuation will need to be a high performance configuration, with a 6950, 6970, or 6990 AMD card. I left a comment on the Tomshardware site - perhaps someone at this site will provide more insight.


Killzone 3 is 720P in 2D and "virtual" 720P in 3D
But in 3D its actually HALF 720P resolution and then its stretched to 720P

There are no artifacts in checkerboard and it looks just like the 2D.

Dont you have an INFO button on your TV? press it, it will show you if its 1080P/24Hz 3D or 1080p/60Hz 3D
My samsung does this, just press the info button button


Return to “TriDef Game Profiles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest