It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Viewsonic v3d241wm, no 3d monitor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:57 pm 

I'm trying to run tridef DDD on my pc for the first time but i have same troubles.
My system is composed like this:

-AMD HD5870 with Viewsonic V3d241wm via duallink as primary monitor (edited, got rid of the hd6970)
-Nvidia GTS450 connected to a standard 1600x1200 monitor as secondary display, disabling those devices doesn't solve the problem.
-OS: i tested only win7 32bit; i have win7 and winxp, both in x86 and x64 however i well know that
it's better to not use winxp in this environment so i'll focus only on windows 7.

So i tried to install the tridef package for viewsonic using amd drivers 10.10e, 11.4 early preview
and 11.5b but in both cases the ignition driver tell "Please Connect to a 3D Compatible Display"
and ask to reboot (but rebooting doesn't change nothing).

Then i tried the main package: i'm using generic 120hz with 13 day of trial and
i found it's working well with many games (best results are without virtual 3d and
with manual focus) except that in many games i have random swap of the left eye with
the right eye; swap eye time approximately happen from 1 time per seconds to one time every same minutest depending on the game.

So i'm backing again to the version for the viewsonic, no matter how much i try, it always say that there is no capable 3d device connected; i installed the driver from viewsonic and the hardware panel show the correct nome of the monitor, i tried 10.10e 11.4preview 11.5b 11.9 confirming every time what's the installed core driver, but i had no success.
For referencee, using this configuration work also with iz3d in shutter mode but the
game compatibility it's pretty bad with older games; or use of various amd drivers version result in
better comaptibility with different issues, mainly unexplainable fps fps down,
11.4prev , 11.5b 11.9 less compatibility but games work well in 3d, 10.10e untested with hd5870
all other working driver more compatibility but issues when s3d is enabled; i don't have much
experience with tridef since i just came here but the test with generic 120hz suggest that i'm really
close to a good choice.

additional info:
I own an hd5870 but i loan an hd6970 at work for testing, i can keep it for enough time if required: update: put back my hd5870 and tried 10.10e, same result.
To switch from a driver to another i first uninstall it, in safe mode clean with driver sweeper, in safe mode manually clean leftovers on filesystem and registry including those files that are protected by permissions; with this i can change the driver up and back without limits.

I hope on a solutions; at the monent i have 14 days of trial left for generic 120hz (after changing vga the count restarted)

edit: i'm checking the forum every day for any response/hint, message edited on Oct-06
On 05-oct i got rid of the hd6970 because has a bad power management and the fan is loud even at low rpm (faulty design?), it was the black one with the big silver screw, i'll try the red version of the same brand next time i got one.

Post subject: Re: Viewsonic v3d241wm, no 3d monitor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:16 pm 

My trial period is going to expire shortly and i didn't find nothing, maybe i'll give up and sell the monitor at half price.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:36 pm 

Have you tried the 11.10 Beta2 Drivers?

Try completely removing the older ATI Drivers before intalling the latest 11.10 Beta2 Drivers.

See my post here.. How to Completely un-install ATI Drivers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:10 pm 

I'll try this evening, both x86 and x64; in the worst case i'll try on a clean install.

edit: i didn't had much time for testing, 11.10p2 on x64 doesn't make much difference from other know drivers;
instead i tried other methods and found that if i set the display to Chimei display , at least in virtual 3d the eyeswap problem is gone; update: seemed to work well without virtual 3d on another game short test; i'm going to do more tests tomorrow and eventually try everything else possible (ill' put the clock two days back to gain same time), maybe i'll do same tests even on 32bits windows.

However i got Metro 2033 running with vitual3d at decent result, while Dirt3 seem to crash when launched from tridef panel (but i started steam.exe from tridef then run the games from steam, i'll try more later).
Dirt3 don't run win7_32 and by judging from Steam forum the developers didn't found the cause yet so i'll try same older games, i'll report what happen, however if my trial is near to expire so i hope to get a result shortly.

Last edited by kkurt on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:22 am 

The trial license expired on both operating system, changing the date from the bios to prevent the expiration didn't work so i wasn't able to make more tests.
Is there a way to extend the trial licence?
If i reinstall one of the oses, i can get a new trial license to make more tests?
I need to understand if it's better to give up now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:23 pm 

So i built a tempoary machine at work, put in my vga and my monitor and confirmed that work.
After came to home i test hd3dchecker and had a positive response so i buyed the license for hd3d that cost half price and applied to tridef installed in x64 windows;
What happend it's what i already told in previous posts: with the monitor connected in dvi-DL i choosed amd hd3d with the only option hdmi 1.4 and i got the eyeswap trouble; so i changed the monitor to Chimei and choose the first option (where the framerate is not specified), then confirmed that the eyeswap problem is gone.
I'm playing at 1920x1080 120hz and i never had problems with the games i tried, they're not many and most of them came from Steam (old games are cheap and play smoothly on actual machine so it's the right moment to enjoy them).

for information only: dirt3 keep givimg trouble but i had it working: it doesn't require any injection, it support stereo natively on my machine and has his own shift and divergence settings in his option panel but i had to enable those features by editing the game .cfg placed samewhere in user profile; the fact that wasn't even starting, to me was that required windows live to be already installed and configured, also refuse to save with an offline profile (require skdraw-samething for that); samewhat this game didn't like my current live id and created a new one itself, also asked to verify the cd key but i suppose that's abot the leaked keys issue.

Other things: tridef refuse to work in a multi display environment, and disabling the second card+monitor prevented physx from working; as a workaround for physx i'm going to buy iz3d that came also at half price for my hardware and allow multiple vga/monitors and use it on x86 win, while for the old xp32/64 i gave up, they both don't like running directx at 120hz output.
(just a note, if you want to use ati/amd as primary vga, nvidia secondary vga, and use the nvidia card as physx hardware engine, a hack is required, google 1.05ff for details)

Hope those info came useful to others.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:58 am 

Just released. 1st November 2011

AMD 11.10 WHQL Drivers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:45 am 

This weekend i'll try this driver and report about it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:18 pm 

Updating all those old info;

As you see in my firm my setup is changed:
I had an major hardware failure and i had to trash the Asus psu, the Asus mobo and the Intel cpu, it was an energy efficent Q9550S.
So i renewed them and switched to an lga1155 and an common msi board, after that i had a failure of the fan for the Asus EAH5870 and since the seller is gone i tried to rma the board from Asus support, guarantee is 2 years so still valid but after 3 month i'm stuck with the poor support and probably i'll search for a dead one to get the fan; i'll just avoid this brand for certain peripherals.
So i changed also the vga and installed finally an hd7970 that seem to working well.
The Viewsonic monitor has the board manufactured from Chimei Innolux that also make 3d monitors but a lower resolution, so instead of HD3D i have to choose the Chimei monitor, first model, and everything work well.
I wonder if this monitor can be considered an HD3D, it work via dvi duallink at fullhd at 120hz and in can get 3d working with iz3d demo under xp and xp64 in a limited way (i suppose that the driver are too new to be compatible), while HD3D is only available win win7;
Yes, the board can run under xp with 12.2 but i had to edit the inf (replaced VEN_1002&DEV_6718 with VEN_1002&DEV_6798), i also changed the card name, then forced a manual install, and finally then install ccc and eventually the other package manually from the temporary AMD folder since the installer seem to be broken; the card is stable and damn fast even under those old OSes.
Tridef under xp (x86 or x64) just say that the monitor is unsupported but the games run without problems at 120hz so i suppose that the edid can be implemented, however i didn't find games that run only on xp, problably there are same (i don't know if the old saferom and starforce protections work on win7 so i can tell).