It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: TriDef vs nVidia's 3DTV Play using a 3D TV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:08 pm 

Hi all.

I recently jumped on the 3D band wagon buying a Samsung 46C8000 3D tv. Since then I have been trying a lot of different 3D gaming solutions.

I had a Radeon HD 5770 which I sold to get a GeForce GTX 560 Ti as I thought I would benefit from the Nvidia's 3D TV Play thing.

With my big suprise I noticed that the 3D TV Play offers a very weak 3D experience, togheter with a very annoying way to set the 3D up for your games.

Basically, if you want to play 3D games using your 3D TV you must first set your tv resolution to either 720p 50\60hz or 1080p\24hz and then run the game. If the resolution is different than the above mentioned ones you will get an annoying big red text on screen, stating that the current resolution is not compatible with the 1.4hdmi standard.

Needless to say that setting the 1080p\24hz resolution while the Windows desktop is displayed will result in a very poor image quality and refresh rate, causing even pain to your eyes.

Anyway, even after setting the proper resolution and starting the game, the 3D experience was far from being "engaging".

The whole 3D effect is very weak, with almost no differences between the 2D and 3D versions of the game.

I even tried to set the "3D Stereoscopic" effect up to 100%, but it didn't make any difference.

On the contrary, this does not happen with TriDef.

First of all, no matter what resolution you have set to your desktop, all games started through 3D Ignition will start with 3D mode enabled.

Second, the 3D effect provided by TriDef literally blew me away.

Sure, in some games there are still some bugs and glitches, but generally the experience provided by TriDef is definitely better than the one provided by 3D TV Play.

The games I have tried so far using both solutions (same nVidia 266.66 drivers, same resolution, same effects enabled etc) are:

Resident Evil 5
3DTVP: No gfx bugs, extremely poor 3D effect, almost no depth
TriDef: GFX bug on the clouds, very good sense of depth

Need For Speed Shift
3DTVP: Didn't work
TriDef: Amazing.

Fifa 11
3DTVP: Almost no difference with 2D version
TriDef: Amazing.

Mafia 2
Both 3DTVP and TriDef performed the same. Both very good.

Street Fighter 4
3DTVP: Average 3D effect, no glitches at all.
TriDef: Much deeper 3D effect, very slight gfx glitches (they dont affect the gameplay tho)

More games will be tested in the future, and I will provide the results here.

So far, in my opinion, TriDef beats 3DTV play, even using an nVidia graphic card.

Please feel free to add your thoughts.

I do also apologize for my english, I am not a native speaker :)

Post subject: Re: TriDef vs nVidia's 3DTV Play using a 3D TV
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:03 am 

Applaud your rigor, kayem. For 1080p24 gaming operation, set your display (Windows Control Panel) to 60 Hz display, NOT 24 Hz. You do not want display flicker and control (mouse/keyboard/gamepad) delay. Your graphics card will automatically limit HD3D (3DTV Play?) data rates to 24 fps.

Also, product comparisons have been made in other forum postings like "TriDef 3D 4.6 Released! What u think about new version?". Ideally, 3D product comparison might also note whether virtual or true (S3DR) 3D is being used.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:07 pm 

I share more or less the same conclusion as you Kayem, S3D feeling on Tridef driver is much more srong than the 3dtvplay or iz3d, and it gives you much more options to configure it.

The only thing missing is the support for framepacking output format which nvidia driver have.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:41 pm 

I have both solutions as well and Tridef is definitely the better 3D experience. It has a much more stronger depth feeling and pop out of characters than 3D Vision.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:06 pm 

You need both because Tridef is not perfect for all games. I have both. 3DVision does some things much much, much better.... no joke.

First of all you have to get off 3dPLAY and go with 3Dvision. Yes that means buying a 3Dvision kit... really all you need is the emitter though. 3Dvision on that Samsung 3DTV will allow you to do 1080p @ 60hz in Checkerboard which when you see that you will never want to go back to 3dplay 24hz or 720p @60hz ever again.

3Dvision forum has people that can help you hooking up the 3dvision kit to your samsung monitor. You have to get a little hardware hack to make 1080p 60hz checkerboard work 100% but its worth it when you get it.

Anyone who wants info just msg me.

6GB Corsair Triple Channel 1333
Corsair 1000hx
GTX 280 TRISLI Available
NZXT Tempest
Samsung 840Pro 256(OS), OCZ Vertex, WD Green, Raptor(game drive)
Acer X263w and 3DTV PN58C7000
3D Vision, Tridef, IZ3D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:58 pm 

For those interested in optimum resolution, 1080p checkerboard or SBS compress (alias) by subsampling L/R images before re-expanding for display. A full frame 1080p format like HDMI 1.4a does not resample L/R images, so image artifacts are not introduced - the original image quality is retained.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:47 pm 

Isn't full frame limited to 24 fps? I mean, you are talking about frame packing mode yes? That is limited to 24fps but at true 1080p on my 3Dvision and samsung 3dtv.

But there is a page flipping(frequency) mode on my samsung that I use and its full 1080p and is limited to 30 fps which then offers 6 more fps that frame packing at the moment.

When I want to play a fast game I use of course Checkerboard to get 60fps. You can see a quality difference between CHeckerboard and the other modes but its not noticeable in fast moving games... only when you stop or for games with fine detail where true 1080 resolution helps.

I only use my 3dtv as a monitor I have no other solutions.

Either way I tested them and I still get ghosting but its really not bad at all. If I had to choose between some ghosting and fps i woudl likely choose fps most times for most games.

6GB Corsair Triple Channel 1333
Corsair 1000hx
GTX 280 TRISLI Available
NZXT Tempest
Samsung 840Pro 256(OS), OCZ Vertex, WD Green, Raptor(game drive)
Acer X263w and 3DTV PN58C7000
3D Vision, Tridef, IZ3D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:02 am 

I have a GTX 460 with the "official" 3d Vision Starter glasses - just a basic passive red/cyan. I recently downloaded a trial of TriDef to check it out b/c I'm considering upgrading to a 3D monitor that uses TriDef and I wanted to see if it would work with the games I play (currently Skyrim, Cyrsis 2, Far Cry 2, and Mafia 2). I have a 22" 1080p LG. Using my lame and seriously old tech red/cyan glasses - tridef TOTALLY SMOKES Nvidia for 3D using the red/cyan type of tech for all 4 games I tested it on. Eye strain with TriDef is less, colors are better represented, depth is more natural and feels 'deeper' than the NVIDIA solution. Given that i have a pair of official NVIDIA glasses and an NVIDIA card I was surprised to see the TriDef solution work so much better. I've been meaning to upgrade to a 3D monitor but have been held back by the cost of a NVIDIA approved solution and negative experiences with shutter glasses in the past (anyone remember E-Dimentional??).

Given my great overall impression of TriDef vs. Nvidia with passive red/cyan glasses I'm now totally going to buy the LG LG D2342P-PN for 3D gaming. Hopefully my experience translates from red/cyan tech to newer passive techs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:58 am 

My experience of this, is that it depends on the TV set. On some TV sets, it seems like 3Dtv play is the Winner, and on some TV sets, it seems like TriDef is the Winner.

I also tried 3Dtv play (purchased) along with TriDef Trial.
I noticed that my 3D TV monitor ( Panasonic VIERA TX-L32ET5Y with passive circular polarizing glasses) did produce a "moiré" effect in Interlaced mode in TriDef. Tried all different interlace settings but they all looked very strange.
It looked like all floors were covered in some reflective material. Only way to get out of this and get a proper 3D effect, was to set output mode to top/down or left/right, and then going in the 3DTV remote Control menu and set 3D mode to [MANUAL 3D MODE] top/down or left/right.

But a disadvantage of this, is that the TV set randomly exits 3D mode, due to it trying to be "smart" and see when user has left 3D mode by "scanning" the Picture, but that scanning is a Little bit too sensitive, so it exits 3D mode while gaming.
Thats why the 3D flag in HDMI signal needs to be set propely, so the TV set does not resort to scanning the Picture for "known 3D formats" and prematurely exiting the 3D mode.

The bad thing with TriDef is that it does not set the HDMI 3D flag in the HDMI signal. Thats why you have to set 3D mode manually in the TV set.

The 3D effect of TriDef in default settings was however MUCH better than 3dtv play in default settings.
However, tinkering with the 3dtv play settings in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D), can achieve a similiar good 3D effect.

Also Tridef is external software, and CAN trigger anticheat software - Im not sure on this Point. Nvidia 3D processing is however done in the Graphics card long after the signal has left any Anticheat's Eyes, which might avoid false bans because a "picky" anticheat might Think Tridef is an cheat based on heuristics.

So basically:

Tridef Pro's and Con's:
+ Better 3D effect in default mode
+ Really NICE lasersight that is accurate
+ Nice OSD menu so you don't have to remember lots of shortcuts.
+ Many ways of customization

- Does not set the HDMI 3D flag in the HDMI signal - Thus the TV set and computer has to be "forced" into 3D mode.
- Did produce a reflective "moiré" effect in interlaced mode. Seems like the TV set and TriDef is not consistent with how interlacing should be done.
- MAY trigger anticheats. Check with anticheat developers, especially EAC, ESEA, ESLWire, Punkbuster and VAC.
- Laser Sight does ONLY work when Power3D is enabled OR a game GUI is open like the buy menu in CS:GO.
- Did produce a strange "3D lag" effect when moving in CS:GO.

3Dtv Play pro's and Con's:
+ Does set the HDMI 3D flag in the HDMI signal, so the TV sets, after pressing the "3D" tangent on the remote, does all the setup automatically and the correct mode of operation is present in the 3D flag, so the TV set knows which 3D mode it should use, and the 3D mode is persistent until the HDMI 3D flag is unset or I manually leave 3D mode with the "3D" tangent on my remote, so the TV does not attempt to scan the Picture.
+ Does work out of the box when it comes to detecting the 3D.
+ Does not trigger anticheats. Most anticheats detects "incorrect"/non-permitted Graphics settings and instead kick for them.

Cons:
- REALLY tricky to get a good 3D mode, needs tinkering in the system registry.
- Inaccurate and unuseable "laser sight".
- No OSD and few ways of customization.

So I would say, for now, if you use polarizing glasses, TriDef has some disadvantages that makes 3dtv play better, but give TriDef some time and it will be good.
Passive 3D is the best, cheap glasses (if they break you just buy new for like 5$) and no flickering, and no batteries to charge/replace over and over and over and over again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:47 pm 

How can you compare 3d effect when you can change that with both solutions. With nvidia, you need to unlock convergence keys in settings. You can also have more depth by a simple register tweak.

It all comes down to supported games and no winner as of yet imo.